The Council works to improve the independence and productivity of Arkansans with developmental disabilities and to ensure their integration into the community. Key activities include:
• Increasing and strengthening self-advocacy participation across the state
• Supporting programs to identify and remove barriers to information, services and support
• Advocating for policy changes to increase competitive, integrated employment
• Developing and supporting coalitions
• Encouraging advocacy to keep policymakers informed about disability issues
The Council consists of 23 members, appointed by the governor. Members include:
• Individuals with developmental disabilities
• Family members of individuals with developmental disabilities
• Directors of state agencies that serve people with disabilities
• Representatives from nonprofit and private organizations that provide services and support for people with disabilities
The Council’s purpose is to connect people with developmental disabilities to the resources and programs they need to be independent, be productive and be integrated and included in all parts of community life. GCDD, along with our network partners, oversees the implementation of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act in Arkansas to assure that individuals with developmental disabilities and their families participate in the design of community services that allow increased opportunities to live and work locally.
The Arkansas Council is supported by a small administrative staff including an Executive Director, a Program Manager, a Grants and Outreach Coordinator and an Operations Coordinator. Please see the Staff page for contact information.
State councils on developmental disabilities, such as GCDD, are federally funded, self-governing organizations. GCDD is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration on Community Living (ACL) through the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AIDD).
For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 501-682-2897.
Council Administrative Staff Offices are located at:
1515 W. 7th Street, Suite 320-330
Little Rock, AR 72201
Copyright © 2018 Arkansas Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities, Arkansas All Rights Reserved.